Thursday, January 7, 2010

'Cause what you see is what you get...

As a young girl I remember being taught that “beauty is only skin deep” and “it’s what a person is like inside that counts” and “you can’t judge a book by it’s cover”. I do agree with these lessons that what’s most important about a person is deeper than her appearance.

I have a theory, however, that appearances are important as well. We are judged (and judge others) most often by how we look. Our physical appearance is an outward presentation of who we are. Kind of like how food is packaged. I can't tell you how many times I've bought something at the grocery store that was wrapped in some fancy packaging that made it look like it would be awesome. Sometimes it is, most of the time it's just okay. But I bought it because it looked good.

Do I want to put out the impression to others that I am lazy, sloppy and uncaring of details? Or do I want to advertise that I am a capable, well organized woman who can not only bring home the bacon, but fry it up in a pan?

So one of the things I intend to work on this year is the image I am projecting out to the world.
I am going to style my hair in the morning rather than pulling it into a wet pony tail.
I am going to wear more than just chapstick for makeup.
I am going to keep my nails trimmed and shave my legs at least every 3rd day.
I will get a haircut this weekend and maybe even go get my nails done.

I've been thinking that maybe if I put the effort into looking like a success, success will find me. Maybe if I start acting like who I want to be, I'll become her.

Because the weight is really just one symptom of a much bigger problem. I got fat because I stopped taking care of myself. I stopped caring about what I looked like. I let myself go. I gave up on me.

So from this day forward I vow to be the best version of me I can be.
Can't hurt, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment