Friday, July 30, 2010

They say it's my birthday....

Today is my Birthday. I woke up this morning 36 years old.


I must have had too much fun when I was younger because I seem to have misplaced a few years. I feel like it wasn’t really that long ago that I was 26. It must have been during those missing years that I gained all this weight too, because I honestly don’t remember getting fat. It’s like I just woke up one morning and did a double take when I caught my reflection in the mirror.

I’m still trying to piece together how it happened. I’m still trying to get to where I need to be. I had a gain this week, which was evident by the lack of posting on my part. I love to brag when I am successful but when I’m not I shut down. It wasn’t a huge gain, a little more than a pound, but frustrating none the less.

I question all the time if I can do this or not.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can……….

I want to.

I want to be thin and look good enough to turn heads again. I want to look like I’m 26… not just feel 26.

But I also want to eat Cinnabons without a second thought.

And I’m more than a little angry that there are no low-carb convenience foods to be found in the grocery store. I bought some sugar free barley muffins that looked promising, label had 11 grams total carbohydrate, 3 grams of Fiber for a net carb count of 8. Not great, but not horrible if I really wanted something baked with my coffee in the morning. I wanted to have them at my desk at work and they came in extra handy this week because someone (I won’t name names…) kept bringing in donuts and bagels. Then this morning I re-read the label, a serving size is half a muffin. All of a sudden I had to double my counts. So it’s no surprise I had a gain….

Who really eats only half a muffin? There should be a law against that…

4 comments:

  1. I agree! The serving size on most stuff is bogus. Serioulsy-who eats 1/2 a muffin is right! ANYHOO-I do have a FANTASTIC muffin recipe on my l.c kitchen page of my blog. My daughter and I used all spice: they turned out fantastic!

    I don't know if there is anything convenience foods I buy at the store. Do you have an ALDI's near by? They sell excellent Fit & Active wraps and Walmart will sometimes carry Josephs Lavish & pita's. The carb count is extremely low and they don't leave a chalkiness in your mouth.

    You are right though-it can be frustrating.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have an Aldi's near by. I'll have to try those wraps. My biggest frustration is when it come to bread. I have to admit I like a sammich once in awhile and... well my few attempts at low-carb baking have fallen flat. I have managed to create a passable pancake from a blend of almond meal and soy flour, But it kind of falls apart easily. When I first tried a low carb diet about ten years agon it was right in the middle of hte atkins craze so EVERYONE had low carb stuff. Boxed cereals, Atkins ice cream, bread, sugar free ketchup.... It was a great time to be low-carbing. I don't know what happened, but the fad died and the products disappeared. You can still get the stuff online, I know, but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been to the Atkins forums and seen the recipes for MIM - muffins in a minute - they are big and totally allowed. I like them!

    ReplyDelete