Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sweet and Sour

Oh. My. God.
I cannot believe how freaking amazing the strawberries I just had for lunch were. I don’t know if I just hit them at the right time, but they are “close my eyes and moan a little” good. I don’t think they’ve ever tasted this sweet and juicy since I was a kid and ate them in the field while my mom was picking them. Mmmmmmm… I’m in pink Heaven.


On a different note- I seriously have to find the motivation to exercise more. I read all these fabulous stories of folks just like me starting C25K or heading to the gym or doing a boot-camp and I just can’t see myself doing it. I know, I know. I have to make the leap and just do it. I make up excuses for myself and it never actually gets done.

I think there is something wrong with me. I don’t get a rush from exercise AT ALL. To me a “runner’s high” is about as elusive as Big Foot. I mean I’ve heard third hand stories about it, but part of believes it all to be a hoax. I can see how that could happen too. Someone tells you that they had a really great workout and feel awesome. So you in turn work harder too and exclaim that you too feel great! SO much better than before. When in reality you both are sore and tired and cranky and fighting a mental battle to dissolve into tears. How is that better than curling up in a ball on the sofa reading a good book? I just don’ t get it. And I guess that’s because I’ve never stuck with an exercise program long enough for it to stop hurting.

Like I said, I have all sorts of excuses. I have asthma and my knees hurt. I don’t have money for a gym. I have a child with special needs at home who doesn’t get enough time with me as it is. It’s too hot. It’s too cold. It’s raining outside. I have errands to run and things to do. I need to catch up on my sleep.

The problem is I’m having a hard time fooling myself anymore into believing that I can do any of this without moving my body.

3 comments:

  1. yum! the strawberries sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the "runners high" is no joke. I AM NOT a runner...I hurt myself while trying to become a runner! But I did experience that HIGH. It was a feeling like, you could go on forever... like, the world was your oyster. It was exhilerating..intense. THEN I hurt my foot :( anyhoo, 8 months later & I still have to be careful.

    Ya, you have excuses but you know what? Those "excuses" are real. Plus, it's hard to exercise when you're tired. What I mean to say is: do what YOU can where YOU are. As you said, you do have to move your body-I think that's the key: MOVE. Doesn't necessarily mean 30 minutes of this or that. Whatever you can do to MOVE. All movement is exercise. You can do it. Yes you can.

    p.s: thanks for your encouragement on my blog. We can and We will do this. It's all a learning process and I know it gets tiresome, but, we really do owe it to ourselves to love and take care of moi'. You are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a matter of sticking it out till it gets good. But once it does? That high you get from exercise is better than anything I've ever tasted.

    It feels like my lungs are stretched out - there's this ball of light/energy that seems to sit in the middle of my chest. If I could describe the way my body feels, I would use the words calm and at peace. My brain feels that way too.

    It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete