Monday, February 15, 2010

Weigh In Week 6

Drumroll….. 229.8


That’s a 2 week loss of 1.8 pounds.

Yes! I am finally in the 220’s. Woot Woot!

I hope that everyone had a very nice Valentine’s day last weekend. Mine was a bit low-key. I did really well though. My husband was smart and didn’t bring home chocolates this time. I was not so smart and brought candy for him and my son, which is now staring me in the face as we speak. And of course I bought all of my favorites, Reeses PB Cups, Twix, Chocolate covered pretzels… You know how many I ate? Zero! (I’m so proud of myself) I did cheat just a tiny bit though. I made one of my husband’s favorite dishes- Barbeque Ribs, and I didn’t realize how many carbs were in the barbeque sauce until they were done. So I figured as long as I was cheating, I would make it worth it and had four bites of the mashed potatoes too. I was good the rest of the day though, so I don’t feel too badly about it.

I just went out to lunch with my good friend E. It was great catching up with her. She’s started Jenny Craig and was telling me about that program. She said it’s been working, but the food is EXPENSIVE. It struck me that I always seem to gain a lot of weight when I’m poor. It’s one of those laws of the universe that you pay more for less food when trying to lose weight. If the world was fair you would pay a flat rate per calorie. Then I could achieve two goals at once, losing weight and saving money!

Will-power is a funny thing isn’t it? Sometimes I can walk right by the coffee cake in the break-room at work and not blink an eye. Other times I swear that I’m schizophrenic because there is a LOUD voice in my head that is trying to convince me to eat the friggin’ thing. When that happens I try to go to my happy place and repeat a silent mantra of “It’s poison.” On Friday the department I work in had a Valentine’s Day event where everyone brought in sweets. This was particularly hard because it all looked so good! Homemade brownies, chocolate truffles, vanilla cupcakes…. And all of it parked right next to the coffee station and water dispenser so I had to see (and smell) it all day long. I should have taken a picture to show you guys because it really was ridiculous. I did well though; I got through the day with only one (minor) breakdown where I took a tiny little taste of brownie. It was so small I can’t even say it was a bite. It was more like ½ bite. And then I decided that it didn’t taste that good. That the 10 minutes of pleasure I would get from eating it was not worth the set-back and undoing all that I worked so hard for over the last few weeks. So I tossed the rest out and quickly returned to my cubicle.



Now I’m off to get some coffee. Wish me luck, last I heard there were cinnamon buns hanging out over there……Poison! Yuck!

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. The money thing is SO true...it's so much cheaper to buy mac and cheese than some fresh produce and whole grains. GRR

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a learning process/journey. You are doing well!!! Keep up the good work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog! I understand how you feel about the money thing too...it's crazy that you can get a double cheeseburger for 99 cents and it's like 4.95 for Organic Strawberries!! I like how you have rewards for yourself on the top of the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be cheaper but is an extra 10 dollars a week worth the risk of 10 less minutes with the ones you love? That's what keeps me motivated to buy healthy food- if it keeps me healthy and around for those I love.

    Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 1.8 pound loss!!

    I love your idea to pay a flat rate per calorie! Think of the money we could save and get healthy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete