Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I Love My Mr. Mom.

I’ve mentioned before that I have a two year old son, Sak, with some challenges. Most people who meet him can’t tell anymore, but when he was an infant it was much worse. He had neurological episodes that were very hard to deal with. When I went back to work and he went into daycare, they became even worse and more frequent. They always seemed to come on just as he was getting over a cold. Of course, in daycare he caught a lot of colds. We did this for about 2 months when luckily for us my husband was laid off from his job. Because he was able to collect unemployment and we didn’t have to pay for child care, we pretty much broke even money wise. That meant that my husband could take care of our son, take him to therapy and help him get to where he is today. Since Sak no longer got the colds, his episodes gradually decreased and now it’s been more than a year since we’ve had to deal with that nightmare.

Now my husband is running out of unemployment benefits in September. He has been looking for a job right along, but we’ve been picky hoping that we could get something for him that would pay enough so we could switch and I could stay home for awhile. If he doesn’t find something soon and has to take a lower paying job, we’ll have to go back to us both working full time, and putting our son back into daycare. And without one of us available to take him, we’ll have to take him out of occupational therapy, which is something he really needs right now.

This scares me. On the one hand I know that playing with other kids his age would be good for him. On the other I’m terrified that being around all the germs that little fingers carry will trigger the episodes to come back and undo all the progress we’ve made to date. One alternative of course is to have him get a job where he works evenings and weekends. I’m not thrilled with the prospect of doing that because it would really cut into our time to be together as a family, but if we did it for a short while, just until Sak was 3, it wouldn’t be too bad…I could live with that if I had to I guess.

This has been seething in the back of my head all summer, but for some reason today it is really causing me concern. I guess I’ll just have to pray on it and hope that God gives me the nudge in the right direction.

3 comments:

  1. I'll pray for you too; what a touching story. Maybe if you posted your city & his occupation, someone could help with a networking opportunity? I know most people want to be somewhat confidential here in blogland, but you never know who you know & who they know, you know? God Bless your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in a situation such as your would drive me crazy: emotionally and mentally...the stress & worry. I'm so sorry.

    You have someone else here in blogland praying for you, your husband and your precious little guy (he's a cutie!).

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your son happen to have Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood? My niece has that neurological disorder and she has more episodes when she doesn't get sleep or not feeling well. If you haven't been to the site for the disorder, it is www.ahckids.org

    ReplyDelete